In this video, learn how to edit a document exclusively in SharePoint 2019. By default, documents stored in SharePoint libraries can be edited by multiple users simultaneously. SharePoint's check out/check in feature is used when you need to disallow co-authoring and edit a document exclusively. Gini von Courter demonstrates document check out, editing, and check in using a Word document.
- [Instructor] There are times that you may need…to be able to exclusively edit a document.…Here's the use case.…You have a number of changes that need to be made.…You don't want anyone else editing the document…with you at the same time.…Perhaps you're the person charged with entering a number…of changes that were approved by a committee,…and you want them all released at the same time.…The way you do this is you check…the document out for exclusive editing.…This isn't a recommended practice…because it does lock out other users.…So checking a document out is not the default…in the newer versions of SharePoint,…but it is a tool that you can use if you need it.…
but it is a tool that you can use if you need it.…Let me show you how.…Go to the document that you want…to check out, and select it.…Click the Menu or Show Actions button.…Slide down to More and you're going to choose Check Out.…This checks the document out to you.…If I point to the document, I get its name.…If I point to the document icon,…it says that it's checked out to me.…
- Define SharePoint.
- Recall what level to set permissions when setting up security groups.
- Recall the limitations of opening a document in the Online version of SharePoint.
- Explain how to upload a folder from your documents folder to your SharePoint team site.
- Name the default that has been removed from SharePoint 2019 that limits document editing to one user at a time.
- Explain how to share a particular document on your team site.