- Let's discuss creating a good document retention policy.…Here's a nonexclusive list of some of the things…to consider as you can see there's quite a bit.…Some of the more important ones are…what documents to retain, and for how long.…You'll see naming conventions,…so you can locate documents that are retained,…when to destroy such documents…and how to make sure that there is some sort of…review process to see that your…document retention policy is adequate for your needs.…
What should be in a document retention policy?…First and foremost what documents…to retain and for how long,…and how do you designate documents for review…to determine whether they should be retained,…and of the various categories of documents…that your business creates how long…should each category be retained?…You should also address…where your documents will be retained,…and how they will be retained.…Will they be stored electronically or in hard copy?…What systems will be used to retain them?…What security will be in place to ensure…that retained documents are protected,…
- The golden rules of document and data retention
- Preserving knowledge, relationships, and achievements through documentation
- Federal and state requirements for retention
- Guidelines for tax records, contracts, and other documents
- Building a new policy
- Storage systems and tools to consider
By the end of the course, you'll be able to build a plan that satisfies all the requirements and also protects your company's proprietary information.
- Define document retention.
- Break down the golden rules of document management.
- Evaluate what types of documents need to be retained.
- Identify the legal requirements of document retention.
- Determine a good document retention policy.
- Distinguish an effective document retention policy.