A site collection is a group of websites that have the same owner and share administrative settings. In this video, learn how to create a top-level site collection.
- [Instructor] So now let's take a look at how to create a top-level site collection. Here we are on the SharePoint server and we're in central administration. In central administration under application management, you'll see there's a link here for create site collections, so I'm going to click on that now. So for this site collection, first of all you'll see here that it is already defaulting to the web application of teams.landonhotel.local okay that we had created. For a title let's just go ahead and call this we're going to create a classic teams site and then for the web site address, you'll notice here that it's going to be teams.landonhotel.local and then we could put something after the slash but because this is top-level we're going to leave it just as is, and then we need to select a template. So we're going to go ahead and we're going to select the team site with the classic experience right? 'Cause we said this was going to go ahead and be a classic team site. And then for the primary site collection administrator, we're going to go ahead and put in LANDONHOTEL\ administrator and to make sure that I typed that correctly I'm going to click the little check names box and then it self populates the Landonhotel administrator account and then I will click okay. All right so here we go we're back in one of those situations where it says that it's working on it and it says that this shouldn't take long but it actually can take a matter of a few minutes so I guess it's all relative. So this is another place where we can go ahead and pause the video and then resume once this process has finished. Okay so that actually went pretty quickly on my end I've seen it take a few minutes this time it actually only took about a minute and you can see here that it says that the top-level site was successful and actually have to scroll over 'cause my resolution successfully created. Okay so it says that the site has been created and if you have permission to view the website, you could go ahead and open it up in a new browser window by clicking the URL it'll take you right over to it. Or if you're all done and you want to go just go back to central administration, then you would just simply click okay. So that's how we create a top-level site.
- Configuring backup and restore
- Designing for high availability
- Configuring DNS for web apps
- Creating a web app
- Creating a site collection
- Verifying site collections
- Creating a user profile service application
- Configuring Active Directory import
- Creating a search service application
- Managing a SharePoint farm
- Creating BCS and Secure Store service apps
- Storing credentials in Secure Store
- Configuring managed metadata