To route documents from a collaboration site into the Records Center, you need to create a send to location that appears in the transfer location dropdown of a retention stage.
- [Instructor] To route documents from a collaboration site into the Records Center, you're going to need to have a Send To location created, so that we can access that in our information management policy, and you're going to need to be an Office 365 admin, in order to do that. Now, I understand that most of you are not going to be Office 365 admins, but I want to take you through this process so that you know what to tell your IT department that you need, because they may not have any experience doing this either.
So they're going to go to the SharePoint admin center, and then they're going to go to records management and here's the information that you need to give them in that help desk ticket. They're going to create a new connection to the Records Center. You're going to need to give them the URL to your Records Center, plus some stuff here on the end. So it shows it to you here in this example if you want to jot it down. It's the Records Center site URL, and then it's that _vti_bin/OfficialFile.asmx.
They're going to need that because they'll click here to test and then that's how the verification becomes successful. So it has to have that extra little bit on the end of it. Then, you want to have the send action be, I'm assuming moved, but you do have options here. You could copy a snapshot in time, so basically keep a convenience copy on your collaboration site and then move a copy of the record to the Records Center. You could move it, so this is assuming that you're moving inactive documents over to the Records Center, so there's no reason to keep them in the collaboration space, because they're no longer being referenced for day-to-day operations, or you could do a little hybrid approach, right, you could move and then leave a link to it.
I think it's better if you really want to link to the document, just to enable document ids, and then that way you have a persistent hyperlink, that follows the document through its entire life cycle, so even if you moved it to the Records Center, if you clicked on that document, ideally, it would still take you to the document, no matter where it was. You can give them an explanation, but they probably won't fill it out anyway. You don't really see it anywhere else and then click, they'll click OK. In this case my only options are update or remove because I've already created it, so, just so that you know where this is going to show up, so once they've done that for you, you're going to have to wait a little bit, so give it a little bit of time, 'cause a timer job has to run, but then you'll be able to go into your library settings for your document library and you'll be able to go into your content type, go into those information management policy settings, and now, when you go into that retention stage, so if you don't have a Send To location created, then when you go to transfer to another location you're going to get an error message in the screen.
It's at that point, that you just need to contact your service desk and have them create the Send To location for you, the way I just showed you. Do keep it in mind that there's a 50 megabyte size limitation when using the Send To feature, so as you're designing your record management solution make sure that what you're trying to transfer from your collab site into your Records Center, make sure that those files are under 50 megabytes each.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Explain how to handle records pending destruction.
- Describe how to write an information management policy.
- Cite how to add content types to libraries.
- Summarize the appropriate use of security folders.
- Cite the circumstances in which you would create an event date site column.
- Recall how to add users to a holds list.
- Explain how to disable in-place holds.
- Summarize how to export search results.