Microsoft has some recommendations for branding SharePoint. This video discusses the branding hierarchy, and talks about the value of using built-in tools before expending additional effort.
- [Instructor] Before we dive…into making changes to our site,…I want to have a little philosophical discussion with you.…A point that you're going to hear me make…throughout this course…is that I don't like creating unnecessary work.…When you're thinking about making changes in SharePoint,…and I think this especially includes branding,…you need to ask yourself, what's the reason for this?…What benefit is this going to provide?…Of course, this is going to depend a lot…on the purpose of your site,…but my experience is that many SharePoint sites exist…to share data internally in a team or company.…
Now if that's so, the primary duty of the site…is to be easy to use.…When you're talking about cosmetic changes,…I don't know that there's a huge business advantage.…I want you to always remember…to weigh the amount of effort needed…against the value it will provide…and don't spend a lot of time on branding just to brand.…Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.…Now, in older versions of SharePoint,…it could be a real problem…
- Changing your site's logo, title, and theme
- Creating new palettes and themes
- Loading fonts to your site
- Calling font sets in your theme
- CSS basics for branding SharePoint
- Creating and uploading a blank CSS style sheet
- Modifying site navigation, fonts, and backgrounds
- Styling tables
- Defining new elements in your CSS file
- Creating new CSS elements directly into the style sheet
Skill Level Intermediate
SharePoint Online 2017: Beyond the Basicswith Gini von Courter3h 32m Intermediate
1. The Branding Hierarchy
2. Creating a Custom Theme: Colors
3. Adding New Fonts
4. CSS Basics for Branding SharePoint
5. Modify SharePoint with CSS
6. More Styling: Page Elements
7. Getting Fancy: Custom CSS Elements
Next steps1m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.