See examples of the differences between managing projects with a classic SharePoint project site and a modern team site.
- [Instructor] We're here on our SharePoint dashboard and in this movie, I'm going to talk to you about the differences between using the classic SharePoint style site for project management, or the new modern style SharePoint site. I'm also going to show you examples of both. We're going to start with the classic site. We're going to go here to the annual report site. And this site was created using the project site template. It is a default SharePoint site template that comes with SharePoint right out of the box but it is only available in the classic style and that's what we see here. We're on the homepage for this project site and we see the homepage features a timeline. Now we have actually added a second timeline but that's something that is also available with this type of site. We also see that over here on the left, we have a little indicator that tells us when our next task is due, it'll also tell us if a task is overdue. The site also has a standard document library, we have a task list and we can go ahead and take a look at that. The task list also features those timelines and a list of tasks, and it's a standard list. It has rows and columns, but there are a few features in here, a couple of columns that have been added like the task status and this is unique to this classic style task list. We also have a task calendar, which comes as part of the site template, which shows us a calendar view of all of our tasks, and our tasks are added to this calendar automatically. We see that the calendar comes with a contextual tab which gives us the calendar ribbon. We can do things like expand all of our tasks if we want, or collapse them. So you can see that this classic style project site has a lot of really nice features about it. Now let's go ahead and take a look at a modern style site. We're going to go back to our dashboard and we're going to click on the temporary lobby. And this going to take us to this site. Now this is a modern style site, and it was created with the team site template. When you create modern style sites, you only have the choice of two templates right now. It is the team site and the communications site. And like I said, this was created using the team site. Now, we have our task list, which as you've noticed, is the classic style task list. You can add a classic task list to a modern site. It still uses all of the same features, it has that same look, we have the ribbon up here, but it works just fine on a classic style site. And it has the timelines, it has our task list, it has all of those great features that we saw in the classic style site. Now we don't have the task calendar with the SharePoint modern style team site, but we can go ahead and we're going to go down to our task list here, we can change the view to a calendar view, and you see it gives us that classic style calendar view just like we saw in the classic site. We have all of the same options.
Note: This course focuses on modern SharePoint sites built with the Communication template, but anyone using a classic site will be able to follow along.
- Comparing classic and modern sites
- Creating and editing tasks
- Adding tasks to the timeline
- Working with task views
- Adding meetings and tasks to the group calendar
- Adding a plan to your SharePoint site