The classic SharePoint Tasks app also includes a timeline. In this video, watch how to add tasks to the Tasks timeline.
- [Instructor] We're here in our task list and when we look at the top here, we see our timeline. Now, we really haven't done anything with the timeline yet in this course, but in this movie, we're going to talk about adding tasks to the timeline. We see that we have one task here already, the Determine Traffic Flow task, and that was added by SharePoint once we added this task to our task list. SharePoint added it automatically to the timeline for us, but it did it just as a sample, an example of what it looks like to have an item on the timeline. We're going to deal with that a little bit later. We want to go ahead and we're going to add a task now to our timeline. I'm going to select this first task, Furniture Needs Assessment, and I'm going to go over here to the ellipses to open that menu dialogue box. And when I do that from the pop-up here at the bottom, you'll see that I have the option Add to Timeline. I'm going to click there, and now it adds that task as a big bar on my timeline, showing the date range of January 14th to February 8th. And when we look at the top, we see that that is what we have. Now, Determine Traffic Flow shows up as a single point only, and the date is January 21st. That's because this doesn't have a start date on it. It just has a due date. Let's add another task. Let's go ahead and let's add the Computer Needs Assessment. We'll go ahead and, once again, Add to Timeline. And now you see that's on there, and you'll see it added it on another space, it added another bar below that first task, and we're starting to see the relationship of these two tasks to each other on our schedule. Let's add some more tasks. We're going to go ahead and add Create a Floor Plan, but, this time, we're going to do it a little bit differently. We've got the task selected. We're going to go up to our Tasks tab to open up the Tasks ribbon, and, here in the middle, you'll see Add to Timeline. I'm going to click there. And when I go up to my timeline, you'll see Create a Floor Plan is here now. And let's add Identify and Secure Staging Area, we'll add that to the timeline, and you can see that there. Now, I want to go ahead and if I alter the timeline, if I change the start and end date of a task, you'll see that it's going to change on our timeline, as well. I'm going to go ahead here and I'm going to click on Create Floor Plan. It opens up a pop-up. I need to scroll down and you'll see it says Edit Date Range. But I also want you to notice that we have, up here, a new timeline contextual tab. This ribbon only opens up when we select something on the timeline. So I'm going to go ahead and I'm going to click on Edit Date Range. Let's try that again, there we go. And I'm going to change the dates on this task. Let's move it up to February 11th, and we're going to extend it to March 1st. And when we save that, see that, it moved it over now like that. I want to add one more task, our Gather All Furniture. And now we can see a really good visual example of our timeline in action. I'm going to go ahead and I'm going to remove a task now. I don't really need the Computer Assessments task on our timeline, so I'm going to click on that. And you'll see up here on the timeline contextual ribbon I have Remove from Timeline. I'm going to select that and take that off. So now you know how to add and remove tasks from the timeline.
Note: This course focuses on modern SharePoint sites built with the Communication template, but anyone using a classic site will be able to follow along.
- Comparing classic and modern sites
- Creating and editing tasks
- Adding tasks to the timeline
- Working with task views
- Adding meetings and tasks to the group calendar
- Adding a plan to your SharePoint site