In this video, learn how to run Ubuntu or other distributions of Linux in the Windows Subsystem for Linux, making its LTSC Windows Server debut in 2019.
- [Instructor] In a recent video about virtual machines,…I made mention that Microsoft has taken significant steps…to embrace the opensource community.…One of those steps is the inclusion…of a subsystem for Linux.…The Windows Subsystem for Linux is a Windows feature…that allows you to run an instance of Linux…on your server.…Now I'm not talking about a duel-boot scenario.…Windows and Linux can run at the same time.…This doesn't require Hyper-V or virtual machines…or containers.…
It's not virtualization at all.…It's an entire instance of Ubuntu or SUSE Linux,…running concurrently on your Windows server.…Installing the feature is pretty simple…but pulling down and installing a Linux distribution…does take a couple of steps.…You can install the subsystem…by using the Install Windows feature in Powershell…or by launching the wizard from the server manager.…Since I did the last one in Powershell,…I'll go ahead and run this one from server manager…just for fun.…
I'm going to launch the wizard from the dashboard…and move forward through,…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.