In this video, Scott presents the challenges of in-place upgrades in Windows Server 2019 and presents the preferred process for migrating role configurations.
- [Instructor] I'm about to use a term…that some network administrators consider offensive.…Now I'm not one to commonly use vulgar expressions…in the workplace,…but I feel that this one needs to be discussed.…The term is in-place upgrade.…Every version of Windows Workstation and Windows Server…has come with a list of operating systems…that you can upgrade from.…Meaning if you're running a listed operating system…you can install in a way that keeps…all of the existing configurations,…drivers, and applications,…but changes to a newer version of Windows.…
For the most part, that list is the two previous versions…of Windows Server.…But doing this kind of upgrade comes with some obstacles.…There is never a guarantee that the hardware…and drivers supported by a previous operating system…will be supported by a newer, more demanding version.…Second, over a period of time most computers inherit clutter…from different applications, user preferences,…updated drivers, and so on.…
If all the settings are kept through an upgrade…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.