In this video, Storage Migration Services is introduced as a way to simplify migrating all settings and configurations from an existing file server to a new Windows 2019 server.
- [Narrator] The last two videos focused on…high availability features and Windows server.…Features that help you recover…from unforeseen catastrophes.…The cluster options of Storage Spaces Direct…and the simple redundancy Storage Replica…are great safety measures to have in place.…But not all workload migrations are emergencies.…Sometimes, it's just time to…move a workload to a new server.…Migrating many of the roles and features…can be done using SMIG tools or their own…unique processes designed to move the…entire configuration from one place to another.…
But file servers can be a different animal.…If you have an old file server that…needs to be retired, you're probably…dreading the task ahead of you.…Copying files from one place to…another, that's easy enough.…But to really migrate that workload, you have…to find a way to copy file permissions,…and share permissions, create the new shares,…and set the quotas and encryption and…whatever else might be going on on your old file server.…I think we all understand the problem,…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.