The roles of DNS and DHCP are discussed in this segment, along with IPAM, a provided Windows Server feature that can be used to easily track these role configurations.
- [Instructor] There are two roles that…are commonly associated with the management…of TCP/IP within a network.…DHCP configures IP information on the various hosts…as they start up, and DNS maintains a directory…of where to find everything.…Now when I say everything, I do mean everything.…DNS helps you find servers, printers, and websites yes.…But it also tracks every object in active directory…that's everything from group policies,…to the email address of a user.…
All of that information is tracked down…through the lookup service provided by DNS.…If you've added the DNS role,…while installing Active Directory Domain Services…it will configure itself while the server…is being promoted to a domain controller…and because the users might need to be able to look up…resources on the internet generally.…It has something called root hints,…where your server is able to look…to the outside world to get information…about other websites, so that you can provide…that name resolution to users…and applications inside your domain.…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.