Scott Burrell explains the important function of an internal certificate authority while demonstrating the initial install and configuration of the AD CA role.
- [Instructor] There's a role in Windows Server…that has been around for quite awhile…and is still one of the most…underutilized roles in my opinion,…and that's the Active Directory Certificate Services role.…Encrypting data and verifying the identity of users…and computers can be done using certificates.…Certificates serve as a kind of ID card…that verifies the identity of whoever presents it…and for any type of ID to be useful.…
It needs to come from a trusted authority.…Drivers licenses and passports need to be issued…by the government agency trusted to issue them.…Certificates need to be issued by an entity…that can be trusted to vouch for the user…or the computer's identity.…Within Active Directory,…you have the ability to issue certificates…that will be recognized by everyone…that trusts your internal authority.…These certificates won't be as useful…to outside entities, but they're incredibly helpful…when you want to quickly verify identity…for remote PowerShell sessions,…application access from a mobile device…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.