In this segment, Scott Burrell describes how Linux and Windows shielded virtual machines are protected from each other and from the virtualization host.
- [Instructor] In Windows Server 2016,…Microsoft introduced a new protection…for Windows virtual machines.…Shielded VMs utilized a Host Guardian Service…to protect virtual machines from each other…and even from admins on the host machine.…That last one is important for two reasons.…First, in a multi-tenant environment,…it may not be up to the host server admin…to look after the guest machines.…Someone running a hosting service may offer space…on high-power servers, and various clients…would place their virtual servers on that hardware.…
In this case, the host machine…shouldn't have rights over the guest machine.…The second reason has more to do with potential breaches…in the form of someone accessing the host machine.…If a hack or exploit gains remote administrative rights…to a Hyper-V host, the Host Guardian Service…keeps the guest machines secure.…All of this was included in Windows Server 2016,…but only for Windows workstations…and servers as the guest VMs.…
Since Windows Server 2016 was released,…we've seen several moves from Microsoft…
AuthorScott M Burrell
- Roles and features
- Upgrades and migration
- Defender and Firewall
- Windows Admin Center
- Planning sites and services
- Environments: hybrid cloud hyper-converged
- Identity and access roles
- Staying up to date
Skill Level Intermediate
Windows Server 2016: Storage Serviceswith Robert McMillen3h 16m Intermediate
What you should already know1m 55s
1. Getting Started
2. Management and Administration
3. Windows Server Environments
4. Storage Solutions
5. Identity and Access Roles
7. Going Forward
Windows Insider program4m 2s
Next steps1m 18s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.