Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Wireless authentication, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] While some wireless networks are meant…for open access by anyone who wishes to use them,…most wireless networks limit access to authorized users.…There are three primary mechanisms to authenticate the users…of a wireless network.…Preshared keys, enterprise authentication,…and captive portals.…Preshared keys are the simplest kind…of wireless authentication, and are commonly used…on home wi-fi networks.…In the preshared key approach, the network uses a 256-bit…encryption key to control access.…
Whenever a user wishes to connect a device to the network,…he or she must enter the preshared key on the device.…The preshared key may be entered directly…as a 64-character hexadecimal string,…but that's a pretty unwieldy approach.…Instead, most networks use preshared keys that ask users…to enter a password, consisting of…between eight and 13 ASCII characters.…The network then uses the PBKDF2 key stretching function…to convert that ASCII password…into a 256-bit network encryption key.…
I discussed the PBKDF2 function in…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.