Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video What’s the appeal of working in cybersecurity?, part of Insights from a Cybersecurity Professional.
- I think the great thing about security is that it's a field where you can have an immediate impact on the business. Protecting information is really critical in this day and age. Information has just become so important to us, and there's so many ways that things can go wrong. And security is like a puzzle. You're playing defense, and you're trying to make sure that you've put all the controls in place that are going to prevent something bad from happening. And the threats that are out to get you are changing all the time.
And you have to make sure that the controls that you've put in place are evolving to meet those new threats. So it's a challenge that never ends. And it's a field where you can just learn so much because it touches every other discipline of information technology. So to be a good security professional, you have to have an amazing breadth of knowledge. It doesn't necessarily have to be very deep, but you have to understand how storage works, how networks function, how a database works. You might find yourself looking at packets on a network one day and digging into the commands that a web application is sending to a database the next day.
So you have to have this breadth of knowledge across the entire field of IT, and you just learn something new every single day in security.
- How does one break into the cybersecurity field?
- What are the various career tracks?
- How do organizations prevent a security breach?
- What are the compliance issues?
- Who is responsible for security in the cloud?
- How does IT security impact other business divisions?
These are the kinds of insights that can help you explore a new career, focus on a course of study, or even prepare for an interview.