Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video What do you do when conflicts exist and leaders want to push ahead?, part of Insights from a Cybersecurity Professional.
- The security professionals often find themselves…in the situation where functional leaders…or business leaders are trying to do something…that really just isn't in the organization's…best interest from a security perspective.…I think the most important thing that…security professionals can do in a situation like that…is make sure that they're not perceived as Dr. No.…It's very easy for security professionals to get that…reputation and become the land of no.…And that's the quickest path for security to become…pigeonholed in the corner and not listened to.…
So, what a security professional really should do,…when they find themselves in a situation like that,…where somebody's trying to do something that…just isn't in the best interest of the organization,…is sit down and explain to the person what the situation is…and how it could jeopardize security.…And then, do things that help them be perceived…as the helpers, the facilitators, the people who say yes.…Offer an alternative.…If somebody's trying to transfer information…
- How does one break into the cybersecurity field?
- What are the various career tracks?
- How do organizations prevent a security breach?
- What are the compliance issues?
- Who is responsible for security in the cloud?
- How does IT security impact other business divisions?
These are the kinds of insights that can help you explore a new career, focus on a course of study, or even prepare for an interview.