Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Watering hole attacks, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- [Voiceover] Watering hole attacks…are a recent development in the…cat-and-mouse game between…information security professionals and hackers.…Watering hole attacks use sneaky techniques…to lure unsuspecting users, and infect…their systems with malware.…In nature, a watering hole is a place that animals gather,…particularly in dry climates.…It's important that animals visit the watering hole…because the water there is essential…to their survival, but there are also…significant risks involved.…First, diseases can spread easily at watering holes,…because all of the animals drink from a common source.…
Second, predators can lay in wait at the watering hole…waiting for prey to show up in need of a drink…and then attack.…In the electronic world, websites are a great way…to spread malware.…When a user visits a website, he or she…trusts it to some extent.…It's the digital equivalent of approaching…someone you trust, as opposed to being solicited…by an unknown stranger.…Web browsers, as well as browser add-ins…and extensions, are common points of vulnerability…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.