Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video WEP, WPA, and WPA2, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] Network administrators may choose…to add encryption to wireless networks…to protect communications against eavesdropping.…Wireless encryption is a best practice…for network security.…Encryption hides the true content of network traffic…from those without the decryption key.…It takes an insecure communication technology,…radiowaves, and makes it secure.…You have four options when it comes to wireless encryption.…Two of them are bad.…First, using no encryption at all…and sending messages in the clear, open to anyone,…leaves everything on the network…vulnerable to eavesdropping.…
Second, using a technology known as wired equivalent privacy…or WEP, uses very weak encryption that is easy to hack.…There are two options for wireless encryption…that are much better.…Wi-Fi Protected Access, or WPA,…uses the Temporal Key Integrity Protocol, or TKIP,…to add security that WEP didn't have.…TKIP changes the encryption key for each packet,…preventing an attacker from discovering the key…after monitoring the network for a long period of time.…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.