Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video VLANs and network segmentation, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Network Security.
- Virtual LANs or VLANs are an important…network security control.…VLANs allow us to logically group together…related systems on a network,…regardless of where they normally exist on that network.…When we create diagrams of our desired network layouts,…they typically look something like this…with different functional groups…having different network locations.…Users in the accounting department all share a network…that is separate from users in the sales department…and those in the IT department.…
If our building and floor layout match…this network diagram exactly, we'd be all set.…More often than not however, we find ourselves…in situations where users from different departments…are mingled together and those departments…are spread across multiple buildings.…That's where virtual LANs come into play.…We can use them to connect people…who are on different parts of the network…to each other, and also to separate them from other users…who might actually be geographically close to them.…Virtual LANs extend the broadcast domain.…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.