Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Usernames and access cards, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Access Control and Identity Management.
- Identification is one of the basic requirements…of any access control system.…Users must have a way…to identify themselves uniquely to a system…using technology that ensures they will not be confused…with any other user of the system.…Let's talk about two common identification mechanisms:…usernames and access cards.…Usernames are, by far, the most common means…of identification for electronic systems.…Organizations typically provide every individual…who will access their computing systems…with a unique identifier that they use…across all electronic systems.…
Commonly, usernames take the form…of a first initial and last name,…or a similar pattern that makes it easy…for those seeing the username…to identify the corresponding person.…Remember, usernames are for identification,…not authentication,…so there's no need to keep them secret.…Obvious usernames make everyone's lives easier.…Organizations also commonly use…card-based identification systems.…Many organizations issue employee identification cards…to their entire staff,…
Author Mike Chapple, an IT leader with over 15 years experience, introduces identification methods such as usernames and biometrics, as well as authentication methods to verify users, including multifactor authentication, password authentication, and single sign-on. He also discusses authorization concepts such as mandatory and discretionary access controls, which can help you restrict access to sensitive parts of your network. The course also covers best practices for ongoing account management, such as establishing a good password policy, managing user roles, and monitoring accounts, and what to do when you need to suspend or terminate access.
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Setting policies for usernames and access cards
- Implementing biometrics
- Combining authentication factors for multifactor authentication
- Using a Kerberos access control system
- Using access control lists such as Windows NTFS file permissions
- Role-based authorization
- Implementing account and password policies