Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding account and privilege management, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Access Control and Identity Management.
- View Offline
- One of the fundamental responsibilities…of information security professionals,…is performing account management tasks.…This includes designing strong processes…that implement the principles of least privilege…and separation of duties,…implementing job rotation schemes,…and managing the account life cycle.…The principle of least privilege states…that an individual should only have…the minimum set of privileges necessary…to complete their assigned job duties.…The separation of duties principle states…that performing sensitive actions should require…the collaboration of two individuals.…
Account managers issuing permissions…should ensure that the permissions they grant users…are consistent with these principles.…For more information on these two principles,…see the Authorization video of this course.…Many organizations also implement job rotation schemes…designed to move people around from job to job…on a periodic basis.…This has obvious personnel benefits,…by providing teams with a diverse set of experiences…and allowing them to experience many different aspects…
Author Mike Chapple, an IT leader with over 15 years experience, introduces identification methods such as usernames and biometrics, as well as authentication methods to verify users, including multifactor authentication, password authentication, and single sign-on. He also discusses authorization concepts such as mandatory and discretionary access controls, which can help you restrict access to sensitive parts of your network. The course also covers best practices for ongoing account management, such as establishing a good password policy, managing user roles, and monitoring accounts, and what to do when you need to suspend or terminate access.
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Setting policies for usernames and access cards
- Implementing biometrics
- Combining authentication factors for multifactor authentication
- Using a Kerberos access control system
- Using access control lists such as Windows NTFS file permissions
- Role-based authorization
- Implementing account and password policies