Security professionals often find themselves in the situation of troubleshooting issues with security controls. Authentication and authorization issues are high on the list of problems to solve. In this video, Mike Chapple explains the issues associated w
- [Instructor] Security professionals often find…themselves in the situation of troubleshooting…issues with security controls.…Authentication and authorization issues…are high on the list of problems to solve.…The use of unencrypted credentials is one of…the most serious authentication security issues…found on systems today.…There's really no excuse for systems that have this issue,…as the use of encryption can easily protect…these credentials.…The root issue is that when usernames and passwords…are sent in cleartext, anyone eavesdropping on the…network communication can intercept them and view them.…
You can encrypt credentials at the application level…by replacing protocols that run in cleartext…with secure alternatives that use encryption.…For example, instead of using the unencrypted Telnet…protocol, use the encrypted Secure Shell, or SSH protocol…for administrative connections to servers.…Instead of the unencrypted File Transfer Protocol, FTP,…use the encrypted Secure FTP, or SFTP protocol.…Instead of sending usernames and passwords…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.