After completing this video, the learner will understand the role of Transport Layer Security in protecting data and how it uses both public and session keys. The learner will also understand the importance of choosing strong cipher suites.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Digital certificates…allow for the secure exchange of public encryption keys…over otherwise untrusted networks.…Transport encryption technology,…such as Transport Layer Security or TLS,…uses those certificates to facilitate secure communication,…over those same public networks.…Let's explore TLS by describing the process…that two systems follow when they wish…to setup an encrypted session protected by TLS.…First the client sends a request to the server,…asking that the server initiate a secure session.…
This request includes a list…of the cipher suites supported by the client.…It's important to understand that TLS…is only a protocol that uses other cryptographic algorithms.…TLS is not a cryptographic algorithm itself,…therefore you can't encrypt something with TLS.…You can use TLS to apply other encryption algorithms.…The listing of cipher suites sent by the client…to the server, is a laundry list…of the encryption algorithms, hash functions,…and other cryptographic details that the client understands.…
This course is part of a six-course series on the CompTIA Security+ exam, and is useful for IT professionals who wish to learn more about information security as well as students preparing to take the Security+ exam.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Applying symmetric and asymmetric cryptography standards
- Implementing key management, including key exchange and key stretching
- Working with public keys, trust models, and digital certificates
- Using transport encryption protocols
- Securing wireless networks
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Symmetric Cryptography
3. Asymmetric Cryptography
4. Key Management
5. Public Key Infrastructure
6. Transport Encryption
7. Wireless Security
Next steps1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.