Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Suspending and terminating access, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Access Control and Identity Management.
- Account Administrators are responsible…for removing user access when it is no longer required.…When a user leaves an organisation,…it is essential that the administrators act quickly…to remove their access from computer systems.…This prevents the user…from accessing sensitive information or resources…after their departure.…And is especially important…when the user leaves the organisation…under unfavourable circumstances.…Security professionals should ensure that the organization…has a strong process,…designed to remove access.…
Preferably, in an automated or semi-automated fashion.…This process may have several work flows.…For example,…the Normal Workflow for a planned depature…should automatically begin…when a supervisor informs the Human Resource Department…that an employee is resigning or retiring.…The Account Administration team…should configure the users' account,…to automatically expire on the day he or she…is leaving the organisation.…The second workflow is for emergency situations…when the user is unexpectedly terminated.…
Author Mike Chapple, an IT leader with over 15 years experience, introduces identification methods such as usernames and biometrics, as well as authentication methods to verify users, including multifactor authentication, password authentication, and single sign-on. He also discusses authorization concepts such as mandatory and discretionary access controls, which can help you restrict access to sensitive parts of your network. The course also covers best practices for ongoing account management, such as establishing a good password policy, managing user roles, and monitoring accounts, and what to do when you need to suspend or terminate access.
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Setting policies for usernames and access cards
- Implementing biometrics
- Combining authentication factors for multifactor authentication
- Using a Kerberos access control system
- Using access control lists such as Windows NTFS file permissions
- Role-based authorization
- Implementing account and password policies