Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Subnetting, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Network Security.
- It's fairly common for organizations…to want to subdivide their networks into…smaller pieces for manageability purposes.…This is where IP subnetting can provide…an effective solution.…Subnetting breaks a large network address space…up into manageable pieces that administrators…may assign to smaller networks.…For example, assume that you are using…the 192.168 private address space on your network.…You might have a network that…looks something like this,…with different departments connected…to different geographic regions.…
Instead of haphazardly assigning addresses…to route your network,…you might decide that you want to use subnetworks.…The 192.168 address space normally…has the dividing line between network…and host addresses here,…giving us a single network with over…65,000 possible host addresses.…If we shift the dividing line to here,…we now have 256 possible subnetworks…with 254 possible hosts each.…
We go from one network with over 65,000 hosts…to 256 networks with 254 hosts each.…While they may not all fit on the screen,…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.