Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Something you have, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Access Control and Identity Management.
- In the last video, you learned how organizations achieve…multi-factor authentication by combining authentication…approaches from two different categories.…The most common approach is to combine something you know,…such as a password or PIN, with something you have,…such as a physical token.…Let's talk about ways you can implement authentication…based upon something the user has in his or her possession.…Traditionally, organizations implemented something you have…authentication using physical tokens like this one.…
They're small hardware devices that the user typically…carries on a keychain.…When the need to authenticate arises,…the user first provides a username and password,…satisfying the something you know criteria.…The system then prompts the user to provide…an authentication code.…The user pulls out his or her token and presses the button.…The token then displays a code that the user…enters into the system, proving physical possession…of the token and completing the authentication sequence.…The cost of providing thousands of users with…
Author Mike Chapple, an IT leader with over 15 years experience, introduces identification methods such as usernames and biometrics, as well as authentication methods to verify users, including multifactor authentication, password authentication, and single sign-on. He also discusses authorization concepts such as mandatory and discretionary access controls, which can help you restrict access to sensitive parts of your network. The course also covers best practices for ongoing account management, such as establishing a good password policy, managing user roles, and monitoring accounts, and what to do when you need to suspend or terminate access.
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Setting policies for usernames and access cards
- Implementing biometrics
- Combining authentication factors for multifactor authentication
- Using a Kerberos access control system
- Using access control lists such as Windows NTFS file permissions
- Role-based authorization
- Implementing account and password policies