Explore the basics of the Security+ exam and learn how to register to take the test.
- The Security+ exam is a multiple choice computer-based test that you will take in a CompTIA-approved testing center. The current version of the exam, SY0-501, was launched in 2017. It's available in English, Japanese, and Portuguese. The exam lasts for 90 minutes. It contains a variable number of questions, but you won't see more than 90 questions on your exam. The questions on the exam cover all six domains of information security.
These include threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities, technologies and tools, architecture and design, identity and access management, risk management, and cryptography in a public key infrastructure. The questions on the exam come in two formats. The vast majority of the questions are multiple choice questions providing you with a question followed by four possible answer choices, one of which is correct. Your exam may also include performance-based questions that require you to manipulate objects on the screen.
I'll cover those more later in this course. To pass the exam, you'll need to achieve a score of at least 750 on a scale ranging from 100 to 900. You can register for the exam online using a two-step process. First, you'll need to go to the CompTIA website and purchase an exam voucher. You'll need to pay the exam registration fee at the time of your voucher purchase. This fee is currently $320 in the United States, or an equivalent amount in many local currencies.
As a CompTIA content publishing partner, we're able to offer exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information, please see these instructions. Once CompTIA processes your payment, you'll receive an email message including your voucher number. Keep this number private because it's your key to register for the exam. After you receive your voucher, you can register for the exam on the Pearson VUE website. You'll be able to choose the testing facility in your local area, as well as a time that is convenient for your schedule.
It's important to know that exam vouchers expire 12 months after purchase. You must actually complete the exam prior to your voucher expiration date. Failure to meet this deadline will require you to purchase a new exam voucher, so it's a good idea to only purchase your voucher when you're actually ready to take the exam. You are allowed to reschedule your exam if something comes up, but you must do so at least 24 hours prior to the time of your exam. If you don't cancel in time and fail to show up for your exam, Pearson will mark your voucher as used and you'll be out 300 bucks.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Careers available in information security
- Exploring the six Security+ domains
- Reviewing the types of questions found on the exam
- Requirements for passing the Security+ exam
- Using assessment quizzes and practice tests
- Continuing education requirements