After completing this video, the learner will understand the basics of the Security+ exam and how to register to take the test.
- View Offline
- The Security+ Exam is a multiple choice computer based test that you will take in a CompTIA approved testing center. The current version of the exam, SY0-401, was launched in May 2014. It's available in English, Japanese, and Portuguese. The exam lasts for 90 minutes. It contains a variable number of questions, but you won't see more than 90 questions on your exam. The questions on the exam cover all six domains of Information Security.
These include Network Security, Compliance and Operations Security, Threats and Vulnerabilities, Application Data and Host Security, Access Control and Identity Management and Cryptography. The questions on the exam come in two formats. The vast majority of the questions are multiple choice questions, providing you with a question followed by four possible answer choices, one of which is correct. Your exam may also include performance based questions that require you to manipulate objects on the screen.
I'll cover those more later in this course. To pass the exam, you'll need to achieve a score of at least 750 on a scale ranging from 100 to 900. You can register for the exam online using a two step process. First, you'll need to go the CompTIA website and purchase an exam voucher. You'll need to pay the exam registration fee at the time of your voucher purchase. This fee is currently $311 in the United States or an equivalent amount in many local currencies.
Once CompTIA processes your payment, you'll receive and email including your voucher number. Keep this number private because it's your key to register for the exam. After you receive your voucher, you can register for the exam on the PearsonVUE website. You'll be able to choose the testing facility in your local area as well as a time that is convenient for your schedule. It's important to note that exam vouchers expire 12 months after purchase. You must actually complete the exam prior to your voucher expiration date.
Failure to meet this deadline will require you to purchase a new exam voucher. So it's a good idea to only purchase your voucher when you're actually ready to take the exam. You are allowed to reschedule your exam if something comes up, but you must do so at least 24 hours prior to the time of your exam. If you don't cancel in time and you fail to show up for your exam, Pearson will mark your voucher as used and you'll be out 300 bucks.
Join cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple as he shares with you tips on how to get ready for the exam and what to expect. He provides an overview of each exam topic, study tips, and suggestions for how to prepare yourself for the exam using practice assessments. He also provides instructions on how to register to take the exam.
This course works in coordination with the six-course Security+ series and provides a 90-question practice exam as a post-course assessment.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Evaluating information security careers
- Determining the value of acquiring certification
- Reviewing the six domains in the CompTIA Security+ exam
- Anticipating the testing environment
- Preparing for different types of questions
- Meeting the requirements to pass the exam
- Practicing for the exam