Security professionals use a variety of assessment tools to help them assess the effectiveness of security controls. In this video, learn the basics of vulnerability assessment tools, including the difference between active and passive tools, the use of protocol analyzers, and the purpose of honeypots and honeynets.
- [Instructor] Security professionals use…a variety of assessment tools to help them assess…the effectiveness of security controls.…Let's take a few minutes to talk about…the different types of tools and then dive in…to using protocol analyzers to see…the inner workings of network activity.…Vulnerability assessment tools come in two forms…and both play an important role in enterprise security.…First, passive tools simply observe activity…and provide security administrators with reports…on system configuration.…They often monitor network traffic…or observe system activity.…
The key is that they don't actually interact with systems.…They just passively test security controls…by watching activity.…Active tools on the other hand do interact…with the systems they assess to identify…both vulnerabilities and the potential lack…of security controls.…This might be as innocuous as checking…for open ports or it might be more intrusive…such as checking exploits against known vulnerabilities.…Active tools are much riskier to use…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.