Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Security assessment tools, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Security professionals use a variety of assessment tools…to help them assess the effectiveness of security controls.…Let's take a few minutes to talk about the different types…of tools, and then dive into using protocol analyzers…to see the inner workings of network activity.…Vulnerability assessment tools come in two forms,…and both play an important role in Enterprise Security.…First, passive tools simply observe activity,…and provide security administrators with reports…on system configuration.…They often monitor network traffic,…or observe system activity.…
The key is that they don't actually interact…with systems, they just watch.…Active tools, on the other hand, do interact…with the systems they assess.…This might be as innocuous as checking for open ports,…or it might be more intrusive, such as testing exploits…against known vulnerabilities.…Active tools are much riskier to use…because they can disrupt normal system operation.…The important thing to remember, however,…is that if an active tool can disrupt your server,…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.