Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Securing your network, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- We also need to pay attention to hardening our network.…Let's cover a few basic network security controls…that you can use to protect your nextworks against…insecure servers and rogue systems.…One of the first things we can do…to improve network security is restrict access by device.…Every device with a network connection…has a permanent hardware address,…known as the Machine Address Code, or MAC address.…This is a 12 character, hexadecimal address,…such as the one shown on the screen.…
Hexadecimal simply means that the address can include…both numerals and letters between A and F.…The MAC address is permanently assigned to a system…and doesn't change like an IP address might.…Let's take a look at how we identify a systems MAC address.…First, we will look at a Linux system.…If we run the command ifconfig…it shows us information about the systems…network interface configuration.…Up at the top we see the ethernet interface…identified by eth0…and on this line we see the hardware address.…
The hexadecimal string next to that field…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.