After completing this video, the learner will understand the use of secure protocols, such as HTTPS, FTPS, SFTP, SSH and SCP to replace their insecure counterparts.
- Just as TCP/IP was built without security in mind,…many common protocols that we rely upon today…do not have built-in encryption,…and require modification to support encryption technology.…The most common example of adding encryption…to a standard protocol…is for securing web communications.…You may already be familiar…with the hypertext transfer protocol,…or HTTP.…This protocol is used to deliver websites…to browsers over the internet.…It's where the HTTP in a full website URL comes from.…
For example, let's go visit the website…for the US House of Representatives.…I'm going to type in…http://…www.house.gov,…the full URL, and hit enter.…And the website quickly loads.…If I click this sheet of paper icon here,…right next to the URL in chrome,…notice that it says,…"Your connection to this site is not private."…That's because it went over the standard HTTP protocol.…It was not encrypted.…Someone eavesdropping on a network connection…could have seen that I visited this website…and also the contents of our communication.…
This course is part of a six-course series on the CompTIA Security+ exam, and is useful for IT professionals who wish to learn more about information security as well as students preparing to take the Security+ exam.
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Choosing encryption algorithms
- Applying symmetric and asymmetric cryptography standards
- Implementing key management, including key exchange and key stretching
- Working with public keys, trust models, and digital certificates
- Using transport encryption protocols
- Securing wireless networks
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Symmetric Cryptography
3. Asymmetric Cryptography
4. Key Management
5. Public Key Infrastructure
6. Transport Encryption
7. Wireless Security
Next steps1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.