Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Router configuration security, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Network Security.
- Routers also play an important role in network security.…Routers often sit in front of network firewalls…and can perform filtering that reduces the load…on the network firewall.…Routers are not great at performing complex filtering,…but network administrators can configure them…to perform basic screening of network traffic.…As an example, let's take a look at the filtering technology…available in Cisco routers.…While the syntax I'll describe in these examples…is specific to Cisco devices,…all routers can perform the same basic functionality.…
One exam tip before we dive into this material.…You won't need to know how to configure Cisco devices…when you take the Security+ exam.…You should, however, be familiar with a type of filtering…that you can perform on a router…and how it differs from the capabilities of a firewall.…Cisco routers support the concept of access control lists.…While you most often hear this term…used to describe file system permissions,…in this case access control lists…are similar to firewall rules.…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks