Proxy servers make and handle requests on behalf of clients and servers. In this video, Mike Chapple explains the functioning of forward proxies, reverse proxies, transparent proxies, and multipurpose proxy servers.
- [Instructor] Proxy servers are specialized servers…that browse websites on behalf of end users.…They serve as proxies, or intermediaries, that prevent…users from directly connecting to websites.…Normally, when a user connects to a website,…the user system is in direct contact with the server,…sending information back and forth.…In a proxy situation, the proxy server sits…in the middle of the connection.…The user connects to the proxy server…and the proxy server connects to the web server.…
All traffic then passes through the proxy server.…This has three important security benefits.…First, proxying provides anonymity.…The web server never learns the network address…of the actual user.…Its logs only contain the address of the proxy server.…Second, proxying provides performance benefits…by caching.…The proxy server can store copies…of frequently requested pages and answer some user requests…with those stored or cached copies,…reducing the demand for network bandwidth.…
Finally, proxy servers can perform security tests,…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.