Social engineers usually carry out their attacks by electronic means, but sometimes they go out into the real world and engage in physical attacks. Take a look at three ways that social engineers engage in physical attacks: shoulder surfing, dumpster diving, and tailgating.
- [Instructor] Social engineers usually carry out…their attacks by electronic means,…but sometimes they go out into the real world…and engage in physical attacks.…Let's take a look at three ways…that social engineers engage in physical attacks.…Shoulder surfing, dumpster diving, and tailgating.…The first of these, shoulder surfing, is pretty simple.…The attacker simply looks over the shoulder of the victim…as they do something sensitive on their computer.…These attacks might not be as obvious…as the one in the photo here.…
For example, someone sitting next to an employee…on a train or bus, might casually glance…at an open laptop screen and monitor activity.…The two best solutions to shoulder surfing…are simply being aware of who is around you…and using special privacy filters on laptop screens…that prevent someone from reading the screen at an angle.…Trash is gold, especially to a social engineer.…Organizations throw away all sorts of sensitive information.…And social engineers love to engage…in an activity known as dumpster diving.…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.