Penetration tests place testers in the role of attackers. In this video, learn about penetration testing techniques including verifying that a threat exists, bypassing security controls, testing security controls, and exploiting vulnerabilities. Also, learn about the three types of penetration tests: white box, black box, and grey box.
- [Announcer] Vulnerability testing merely probes systems…for vulnerabilities.…Those tests can be active reaching out and interacting…with systems, but they are rarely dangerous because they…don't typically complete an attack.…Actually executing an attack is however, the best way to…understand a system's vulnerabilities.…Penetration tests do this by placing testers in the role…of attackers.…During a penetration test, attackers normally begin by…gathering information about systems and then using that…information to engage in actual attacks.…
The test is considered successful if the attackers manage…to penetrate the target system.…The goal is to test security controls by attempting to…bypass or defeat them.…The National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST)…suggests that penetration tests loop back and forth between…a discovery phase and an attack phase.…During the discovery phase, attackers conduct…reconnaissance against systems and think of possible…avenues of exploit.…When they find a path of potential vulnerability,…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.