Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Penetration testing, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- Vulnerability testing merely…probes systems for vulnerabilities.…Those tests can be active,…reaching out and interacting with systems,…but they are rarely dangerous because they don't typically…complete an attack.…Actually executing an attack is, however,…the best way to understand a system's vulnerabilities.…Penetration tests do this by placing testers…in the role of attackers.…During a penetration test, attackers normally begin…by gathering information about systems…and then using that information to engage…in actual attacks.…
The test is considered successful if the attackers…manage to penetrate the target system.…The goal is to test security controls by attempting…to bypass or defeat them.…The National Institute for Standards and Technology,…NIST, suggests that penetration tests loop back and forth…between a discovery phase and an attack phase.…During the discovery phase,…attackers conduct reconnaissance against systems…and think of possible avenues of exploit.…When they find a path of potential vulnerability,…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 04/25/2016. What changed?
A: We updated eight movies to stay on top of the latest trends in IT security, and the latest objectives on the "Threats and Vulnerabilities" domain of the CompTIA Security+ exam.
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.