In this video, learn about overflow attacks.
- [Instructor] Buffer overflow attacks also pose a danger…to the security of web applications.…When software engineers develop applications,…they often set aside specific portions of memory…to contain variable content.…Users often provide answers to questions that are critical…to the application's functioning…and fill those memory buffers.…If the developer fails to check that the input provided…by the user is short enough to fit in the buffer,…a buffer overflow occurs.…The user content may overflow…from the area reserved for input…into an area used for other purposes…and unexpected results may occur.…
The easiest way to show this is with an example.…So let's go back to WebGoat.…You can see here that we have an application…handling Wi-Fi charges for hotel rooms.…I'm also going to start up the ZAP Proxy…and then run through this page.…I'm going to go ahead and enter my name…and a hotel room number and then press submit.…Here I am now in the ZAP Proxy,…which has intercepted my request.…I'm going to start walking through this step by step,…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.