Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Network ports, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Network Security.
- [Instructor] IP addresses may uniquely identify…each system on a network,…but those systems may be responsible…for running many different services.…That's where network ports come into play.…Network ports are particular locations on a system…associated with a specific application.…Imagine that each computer on the network…is an apartment building,…and each application is an individual apartment.…The IP address on the computer…is like the street address on the apartment building.…But once you arrive at the building,…you need specific instructions…to get to the right apartment.…
The network port is like the apartment number,…guiding traffic to the correct application.…Network ports are represented using a 16-bit binary number.…When we write that out in decimal form,…we have two to the 16th power,…or 65,536 possible values.…Just as with IP addresses, we start counting at zero,…so port numbers may range from zero to 65,535.…Different ranges of ports are used in different ways.…
Ports between zero and 1,023…are known as the well-known ports.…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.