Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Network monitoring, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] Firewalls and network devices…are on the front lines of security,…and their logs contain important information…for security professionals.…These logs are useful when investigating security incidents,…troubleshooting network issues,…and monitoring for suspicious activity.…Firewall logs are one of…the richest possible sources of information.…When configured properly, firewalls create log entries…for each and every connection attempted on a network,…whether it was allowed or denied.…
The log entry contains quite a bit of useful information,…including details about the attempted connection,…including the source and destination ports…and IP addresses,…a timestamp indicating when the connection took place,…and the identity of the firewall rule…that either authorized or denied the connection.…Let's think about some scenarios…where these logs might be very useful.…First, in the aftermath of a security incident,…the logs may show all of the connections attempted…on a network.…
This likely includes the connections used by…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.