Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Network intrusion detection and prevention, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Narrator] Intrusion detection and prevention systems…play an extremely important role in the defense of networks…against hackers and other security threats.…Intrusion detection systems sit on the network…and monitor traffic…searching for signs of potential malicious activity.…For example, an intrusion detection system might notice…that a request found for a web server…contains a SQL injection attack,…that a malformed packet is attempting…to create a denial of service,…that a user's login attempt seems unusual…based upon the time of day and prior patterns of activity,…or that a system on the internal network…is attempting to contact a bot.net…command and control server.…
All of these situations are examples of security issues…that administrators would obviously want to know about.…Intrusion detection systems identify this situation…and then alert administrators…to any issues for further investigation.…In many cases administrators are not available…to immediately review alerts and take action,…or are simply overwhelmed…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.