Network addresses are not strong proof of identity, because it is fairly easily to alter them. In this video, Mike Chapple explains how attackers can spoof both MAC and IP addresses.
- [Instructor] Network addresses are easily altered…by anyone with administrative access to a system.…So they should not be relied upon…for authentication purposes.…Attackers can modify both the IP address…and the MAC address of a system.…In the last video,…you learned how attackers can engage…in ARP poisoning attacks…to redirect traffic headed for a system…to a different device.…This is the only type of attack…that involves MAC addresses.…Attackers may also engage in MAC spoofing attacks.…
MAC addresses are normally assigned…to hardware by the manufacturer.…So many people mistakenly believe…that they cannot be changed.…Unfortunately, that couldn't be further from the truth.…While it is true that the default MAC address assigned…to a system is created by the manufacturer,…an administrator can easily change this value…through normal operating system commands.…For example, let's take a look…at changing the MAC address on a Macintosh system.…I'm going to use a few command line tools…at the terminal to do so.…
I'm going to begin by typing the sudo command…
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.