Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Monitoring log files, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Threats and Vulnerabilities.
- [Voiceover] We've spent a lot of time so far…in this course learning about different threats…and vulnerabilities.…Now let's turn our attention to the security controls…that administrators can put in place…to protect against those vulnerabilities.…We'll start our conversation with one of the most important,…but most often overlooked controls: Log Monitoring.…Now let's face it, log monitoring…is not an exciting activity.…In fact, it's usually pretty dull…and as such the newest member of any security team…usually draws this short straw,…but log monitoring is incredibly important…because logs often contain critical information…that allows administrators to both detect security breaches…and penetration attempts and conduct analysis…of events that have already taken place.…
I'm going to show you how both Windows…and Linux systems record log entries.…Let's begin with a Windows server.…You can access Windows logs using a tool…called 'Event Viewer'.…When you open the Windows log folder in event viewer,…you see that logs are organized…
NOTE: We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. Our training prepares members to pass CompTIA certification exams and become qualified IT professionals. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Understanding backdoors and logic bombs
- Defending against denial of service and password attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Detecting social engineering attacks
- Preventing wireless eavesdropping
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Deterring attacks
- Securing your network
- Scanning for and assessing threats
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Understanding Attack Types
3. Social Engineering Attacks
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Mitigation and Deterrence
7. Discovering Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.