Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Maintaining network availability, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Announcer] Sometimes attackers try…to undermine network security…by denying legitimate users access to the network.…Let's take a look at two techniques,…you can implement to defend your network…against availability based attacks.…Many denial service attacks rely upon flooding devices…with traffic until they are overwhelmed.…I cover many of these in the Security,…Plus Threats and Vulnerabilities course.…One example of this type of attack is the SYN Flood.…You may recall that in a SYN Flood attack,…the attacker creates thousands…of partially opened TCP connections to a device…by sending SYN packets but never answering…the SYN ACK packet to complete the three way handshake.…
This is one example of flooding,…and there are many similar attacks in the attackers toolkit.…Another example MAC Flooding occurs…when attackers send large numbers…of different MAC address's to a switch,…hoping to over flow the switches MAC address table…and cause it to forget where devices are,…and then flood traffic out to every switch port,…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.