Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video Maintaining network availability, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Network Security.
- Sometimes attackers try to undermine network security…by denying legitimate users access to the network.…Let's take a look at two techniques you can implement…to defend your network against availability-based attacks.…Many denial of service attacks rely upon flooding devices…with traffic until they are overwhelmed.…I cover many of these…in the Security Plus Threats and Vulnerabilities course.…One example of this type of attack is the SYN Flood.…You may recall that in a SYN Flood attack,…the attacker creates thousands…of partially opened TCP connections to a device…by sending SYN packets…but never answering the SYN ACK packet…to complete the three-way handshake.…
This is one example of flooding,…and there are many similar attacks…in the attacker's toolkit.…Another example, MAC Flooding, occurs…when attackers send large numbers of different MAC addresses…to a switch, hoping to overflow…the switch's MAC address table…and cause it forget where devices are…and then, flood traffic out to every switch port,…allowing the attacker to eavesdrop…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.