Knowledge-based attacks go beyond the simplicity of brute force attacks and combine other information available to the attacker with cryptanalytic techniques to break the security of encrypted data. In this video, learn how attackers wage knowledge-based attacks against encryption algorithms.
- [Narrator] Knowledge-based attacks…go beyond the simplicity of brute-force attacks.…And combine other information available to the attacker,…with cryptanalytic techniques,…to break the security of encrypted data.…The first knowledge-based attack…is the Frequency Analysis Attack.…In this attack, the person trying to break the code…does statistical analysis of the ciphertext…to try to detect patterns.…The analyst might use many common characteristics,…of the English language, to help with this analysis.…
For example, you might know that the most common letters…in the English language, are E, T, O, A, I and N.…If you suspect that a simple substitution cipher was used…to protect data, and see the letter X coming up repeatedly…in the cipher text, there's a good chance that X…was substituted for E.…There are also lesser known rules…that can assist with frequency analysis.…For Example, researchers also can use pairs of letters…that often appear together, known as digraphs.…
If they see the same two letters popping up in cipher text,…
We are a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Comparing viruses, worms, and Trojans
- Backdoors and logic bombs
- Understanding the attacker
- Attack types: from denial of service to brute force attacks
- Preventing insider threats
- Wireless attacks
- Understanding cross-site scripting
- Preventing SQL injection
- Social engineering
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing
- Assessing the impact of vulnerabilities
Skill Level Beginner
2. Understanding Attackers
3. Understanding Attack Types
4. Wireless Attacks
5. Application Attacks
6. Social Engineering Attacks
7. Vulnerability Scanning and Penetration Testing
8. Impact of Vulnerabilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.