Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video IP addresses, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] For the internet Protocol…to successfully deliver traffic…between any two systems on a network,…it must have an addressing scheme.…Just like telephones use phone numbers…and postal mail uses street addresses,…the internet needs an addressing scheme.…Because the addresses are used by the internet protocol,…they're known as IP addresses.…In most cases, IP addresses are written in what's known…as the dotted quad notation.…This means that they are four numbers separated by periods.…
Each number may range between zero and 255.…Why 255?…Because each number is represented using eight binary bits.…Those bits can represent…two to the eighth power possible numbers.…Two to the eighth is 256,…but since we start counting at zero,…we can only go up to 255 in our IP address values.…A systems IP address uniquely identifies it on a network.…If the system is directly connected to the internet,…the IP address it uses must not be used…by any other system in the world,…just as your mobile phone number is not used elsewhere…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.