Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video IP addresses, part of CompTIA Security+ Exam Prep (SY0-401): Network Security.
- For the internet protocol to successfully deliver traffic…between any two systems on a network,…it must have an addressing scheme.…Just like telephones use phone numbers,…and postal mail uses street addresses,…the internet needs an addressing scheme.…Because the addresses are used by the internet protocol,…they're known as IP Addresses.…In most cases, IP Addresses are written…in what's known as the Dotted Quad Notation.…This means that they are four numbers separated by periods.…
Each number may range between zero and 255.…Why 255?…Because each number is represented using eight binary bits.…And those can represent…2 to the 8th power possible numbers.…2 to the 8th is 256,…but since we start counting at 0,…we can only go up to 255 in our IP Address values.…A system's IP Address uniquely identifies it on a network.…If the system is directly connected to the internet,…the IP Address it uses must not be used by any other system…in the world,…just as your mobile phone number…is not used elsewhere in the world.…
Systems that are connected to private networks,…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.