Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video ICMP, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-501) Cert Prep: 2 Technologies and Tools.
- [Instructor] The Internet Control Message Protocol,…ICMP, is the housekeeping protocol of the internet.…It performs a variety of important administrative functions.…The ping command is one of the most basic network…troubleshooting commands available.…When a system sends a ping command over the network,…the receiving system responds with an acknowledgement.…It's the equivalent of one system asking another,…"Are you there?" and the target system responding,…"Yes, I am."…Although instead of asking these questions in English,…the ping command uses the ICMP protocol.…
The "Are you there?" question is asked by sending a packet…known as an ICMP echo request.…The target system responds, "Yes, I am,"…by sending an ICMP echo reply.…Let's try this from the command line of a terminal.…I'm going to go ahead and try pinging the website…of CompTIA, www.comptia.org.…My computer begins sending ICMP echo requests…in a continuous fashion.…CompTIA's web server responds with an echo reply.…
And each line that you see appearing on the screen here…
- IP addresses
- Routers, switches, and bridges
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Network intrusion detection and prevention
- Managing secure networks
- Tuning and configuring SIEMs
- Troubleshooting digital certificates
- Personnel, host, and mobile device security
- Mobile device management and tracking
- Securing common protocols
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 13m Beginner
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Managing Secure Networks
4. Wireless Networking
5. Security and Monitoring Technologies
6. Security Assessment Tools
7. Security Troubleshooting
8. Personnel Security
9. Host Security
10. Mobile Device Security
11. Securing Protocols
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.