Join Mike Chapple for an in-depth discussion in this video ICMP, part of CompTIA Security+ (SY0-401) Cert Prep: Network Security.
- The Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)…is the housekeeping protocol of the internet.…It performs a variety of important administrative functions.…The Ping command is one of the most basic…network troubleshooting commands available.…When a system sends a Ping command over the network,…the receiving system responds with an acknowledgement.…It's the equivalent of one system asking another,…"Are you there?", and the target…system responding, "Yes, I am."…Although, instead of asking these questions in English,…the Ping command uses the ICMP protocol.…
The "Are you there?" question is asked by sending a packet…known as an ICMP Echo Request.…The target system responds "Yes, I am.",…by sending an ICMP Echo Reply.…Let's try this from the command line of a terminal.…I'm going to go ahead and try pinging…the website of CompTIA, www.CompTIA.org.…My computer begins sending ICMP Echo Requests…in a continuous fashion.…CompTIA's web server responds with an Echo Reply…and each line that you see appearing…on the screen here is the receipt of an Echo Reply.…
We are now a CompTIA Content Publishing Partner. As such, we are able to offer CompTIA exam vouchers at a 10% discount. For more information on how to obtain this discount, please download these PDF instructions.
- Working with the TCP/IP suite
- Securing switches and routers
- Configuring firewalls
- Setting up virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Detecting and preventing network intrusions
- Implementing unified threat management
- Using public and private network addressing effectively
- Segmenting networks
- Virtualization and cloud computing
- Managing secure networks
Skill Level Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Suite
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
5. Managing Secure Networks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.